Found dead in London at the age of 41, Jason Arday had just resigned from Cambridge University amid controversy over his career.
AI-generated summary
Jason Arday had resigned from Cambridge amid controversy over his qualifications and accusations of plagiarism.
The affair made the headlines in the British media and was extensively commented on by the Anglo-Saxon press. Jason Arday, former professor of sociology of education at the University of Cambridge, was found dead on Friday in London, a few days after announcing his resignation amid controversy surrounding his academic career. Aged 41, he was discovered “lifeless” in a home in the Battersea district, in the south of the British capital. Emergency services were alerted at 3:12 p.m., before he was pronounced dead on site.
London police said the death was currently considered “unexpected”, but that it did not appear suspicious. “Sadly a 41-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. His relatives have been informed and are receiving support from police officers,” said a British police spokesperson.
“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic news,” responded the chief administrator of the University of Cambridge, Deborah Prentice, in a press release. “We send our deepest condolences to Jason Arday’s family and friends at this extremely difficult time.”
The professor's disappearance comes after his name had been at the heart of a controversy in Cambridge for several weeks. Jason Arday had loudly announced on August 5 his departure “with immediate effect” from his teaching position as well as from Jesus College – a component of the prestigious British university. A few hours earlier, the university had announced the opening of a new investigation into his “academic qualifications and honorary appointments”, while several complaints of academic misconduct were already being examined.
In the process, the family of the ex-Cambridge professor confirmed his death on Friday evening and denounced a “campaign of harassment” against him since his appointment to the prestigious British university. “Jason was the target of an ongoing campaign of harassment for more than three years after accepting his professorship at Cambridge University, carried out by those who would do anything to discredit him,” his family wrote in a statement released by his publisher Simon & Schuster. “This disinformation campaign has been unbearable for Jason,” she added.
Appointed professor at Cambridge in 2023, at the age of 37, Jason Arday was then presented as the youngest black professor in the history of the establishment. His career was then contested, in particular by the American researcher Nathan Cofnas, who accused him of having plagiarized certain passages from his doctoral thesis. Jason Arday has always rejected these accusations. Questions were also raised about several achievements he claimed, including running 30 marathons in 35 days.
According to Nathan Cofnas, himself expelled from Cambridge in 2024 after being accused of racism, a true meritocracy would lead to the “disappearance of black people from almost all positions of high responsibility, outside of sport and entertainment”.
In a letter published at the time of his resignation, the academic explained that leaving was “the only way” to end a “difficult period”, while refusing that his decision be considered as recognition of the accusations against him. “It is simply the decision of someone who has reached the limits of what a person can reasonably be expected to endure,” he wrote.
The affair sparked numerous reactions in the United Kingdom. A petition in support of Jason Arday had collected around 15,500 signatures, including those from Cambridge academics, MPs and the leader of the British Greens, Zack Polanski. His supporters believed in particular that the criticism he was subjected to could be linked to racism and his atypical career path.
Cambridge, for its part, announced that it wanted to examine the matter in depth. His vice-chancellor, Deborah Prentice, on Thursday described the case of Jason Arday as an “aberration” and promised an “independent” investigation, led by academics from Cambridge and other establishments. She also rejected any attempt to generalize the accusations against the former professor to other academics from ethnic minorities.
Jason Arday was also due to publish his memoirs, Great and Unfortunate Things, in the United Kingdom at the end of August, devoted to his personal and academic journey. His British publisher, Simon & Schuster, maintained the publication, saying he was proud to publish his work and testifying to the “integrity” he allegedly demonstrated during the editorial process.
In this memoir, Great and Unfortunate Things, Jason Arday retraces his journey: diagnosed with autism as a child and suffering from global developmental delay, he did not speak until age 11 and learned to read and write until age 18. The publishing house indicates that no accusation of plagiarism has been made against the book. She also cites a previous press release from Cambridge, indicating that it had investigated the accusations and “exonerated Mr. Arday of any wrongdoing”. The university also said it supported the professor “victim of a vile campaign aimed at undermining his credibility”.
Quatorze civils, âgés de 50 à 70 ans, ont été tués vendredi par une frappe aérienne de l'armée birmane sur un monastère à Myaung. Les témoins dénoncent une attaque intentionnelle contre des fidèles en retraite de méditation.
Le Moyen-Orient reste sous tension alors que l'administration Trump prépare de nouvelles sanctions économiques contre l'Iran. Téhéran, se disant en position de force, appelle à la fin du conflit, tandis que des échanges virulents opposent Israël et la Turquie.
L'Allemagne enquête sur des armes découvertes près de Berlin. À Kryvyï Rig, une attaque russe par drones sur un centre commercial fait 14 morts et 120 blessés. Parallèlement, le Japon proteste contre des essais de missiles russes près d'îles disputées.

Des frappes russes par drones sur un centre commercial à Kryvyï Rig ont fait au moins 16 morts et 130 blessés. Le président Zelensky dénonce une attaque cynique, tandis que l'UE condamne une stratégie de terreur visant à rendre les villes inhabitables.

Des frappes russes ont fait au moins deux morts à Kiev et Zaporijjia dans la nuit. Ces attaques surviennent après un bombardement sur un centre commercial à Kryvyï Rig ayant fait 20 morts la veille.

Natalie Harp n'aurait pas eu les habilitations de sécurité requises, l'économiste russe Andreï Klepach a été écarté, et la Maison-Blanche s'est emportée contre une journaliste de CNN.