
Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung convicted of 'incitement to subversion' over Tiananmen Square vigil organisation.
A Hong Kong court convicted pro-democracy activists Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung of incitement to subversion for organizing Tiananmen Square vigils, facing up to 10 years in prison.
AI-generated summary
Activists organized annual candlelight vigils for decades to mourn the victims of Beijing's 1989 Tiananmen crackdown.
A Hong Kong court has found two pro-democracy activists guilty on national security charges in a trial widely viewed as exemplifying the erosion of freedom of expression in the Chinese city.
Lee Cheuk-yan, 69, and Chow Hang-tung, 41, former leaders of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, were found guilty of “incitement to subversion” for their role in organising candlelit vigils to mark Beijing’s deadly 1989 Tiananmen crackdown, in a Hong Kong court on Friday. The two had pleaded not guilty and were charged in 2021.
The pair could face up to 10 years in jail. Sentencing is expected at a later date.
Prosecutors argued that the pair “endanger[ed] national security in the name of human rights”.
Chow, a human rights barrister who represented herself, told the court in May that the law itself was on trial.
Friday’s verdict was “no surprise”, said Mark Clifford, president of the Committee for Freedom in Hong Kong Foundation.
Hong Kong’s “twisted” judicial system had already decided the pair were guilty in 2021, he said. He described Lee and Chow as “true Chinese patriots” who were silenced because they “spoke truth to power” and “held up a mirror to the Chinese Communist Party”.
For three decades, the candlelight vigil organised by the alliance was the only large-scale public commemoration of the Tiananmen crackdown, drawing tens of thousands of people annually to mourn the victims in China. The event was banned in 2020 during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, weeks before Beijing imposed the security law on Hong Kong to quell the 2019 massive antigovernment protests.
The alliance’s leaders have been behind bars since they were charged.
Chow and Lee “exposed the Chinese government’s fears of the memory of its own atrocities”, Elaine Pearson, Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said, urging governments around the world to hold Beijing to account for erasing Hong Kong’s freedoms.
Earlier this year, Jimmy Lai, 78, a media mogul and high-profile rights campaigner in Hong Kong, was found guilty on national security charges and sentenced to 20 years behind bars.
In a personal blog published in the days leading up to the verdict, Chow detailed her treatment by correctional services, in which she described being led “like a dog on a lead”, shackled at the wrists, waist and ankles.
She described a new method of restraint, with specialised handcuffs, as the source of significant pain during her long detention: “One can only ‘choose’ which part of the body shall suffer in turn” due to the bodily contortions forced by the restraints she has been held in.
Chow is one of the few high-profile political prisoners detained in Hong Kong to continue to speak out publicly against the authorities.
In June 1989, China’s government sent tanks and soldiers to crush a pro-democracy movement that had installed itself in Beijing’s central Tiananmen Square. Hundreds, possibly thousands, of people were killed by soldiers, and many were injured. Beijing has since sought to censor mention of the incident in China.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Sentencing of Lee Cheuk-yan and Chow Hang-tung at a later date
Very likely · Within weeks

An Alabama jury awarded $9.25 million to former University of Alabama basketball player Kai Spears, finding the New York Times defamed him by falsely reporting his presence at a 2023 fatal shooting scene.

Meta is defending itself in a federal civil trial in Oakland, California, where 29 state attorneys general allege the company violated COPPA by collecting data on children under 13 and misled the public about platform safety features.

TikTok and parent company ByteDance have agreed to a $400 million settlement with the US Justice Department over allegations of violating children's online privacy laws, marking one of the largest recoveries under the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

A US judge has struck down a Trump administration policy suspending immigrant visas for 75 countries, ruling it exceeded statutory authority and conflicted with federal immigration law.

NSW is considering an appeal after a judge refused a terror order for Mohommed Farhat, who was convicted of vandalism, while ruling that disparaging Israel is political comment rather than antisemitism.

Prince Harry, Elton John, and five others will learn the scale of their interim legal cost payments to Associated Newspapers on Friday, following their failed High Court privacy lawsuit against the publisher of the Daily Mail.