
Iran's Brig Gen Mohammad Bagherzadeh writes to ICRC claiming three pilots were captured six months ago, a claim Qatar categorically denies.
AI-generated summary
Iran and Qatar are clashing over the fate of pilots involved in an operation during a US-Iran war.
Iran has called for the release of three pilots it said were captured by Qatar after two of its fighter jets werehit by air defences during a military operation at the start of the US-Iran war.
In a letter to the head of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Iran's Brig Gen Mohammad Bagherzadeh claimed the pilots - Javad Salehi, Abdul Majid Dashtian and Imran Behroshian - had been held captive for six months.
He said the body of a fourth pilot, Majid Kazemi, had been returned after he was killed in the same operation on 2 March 2026 - the third day of the war.
Qatar "categorically denied" Iran's claims and said it was "surprised by these misleading statements".
Bagherzadeh said the three pilots had been captured by Qatar after they ejected from their jets during a combat mission targeting a Qatari military base.
In the letter to ICRC chief Mirjana Spoljaric, published by Iranian media, he accused Qatar of violating "the inalienable rights of these prisoners, contrary to all international laws and regulations".
The letter also claimed the three pilots had not been allowed to meet or contact their families.
Qatar's foreign affairs spokesperson Majed Mohammed Al Ansari said contact had been made with the pilots "after they violated Qatari airspace", but that it had not received a response.
"The necessary measures were taken to defend our territory in accordance with international law," he added in a statement on X.
Al Ansari said Qatar's search and rescue teams "carried out their duties to the fullest extent in searching for the pilots' remains", adding the Gulf nation had contacted Iran "co-ordinate the handover of the remains of one of the pilots that were recovered".
Bagerzadeh later told the semi-official Tasnim news agency on Sunday that Qatar should allow an Iranian fact-finding team into the country to investigate what had happened, claiming one had been denied entry for months.
Al Ansari said an invitation for an Iranian team to visit Qatar to review the findings of its search and rescue operation had been extended in April but Tehran had yet to respond.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Iran may respond to Qatar's invitation regarding the fact-finding team visit.
Possible · Within weeks

Rescuers in Ukraine searched for survivors after a deadly Russian double-tap drone strike killed 16 people and injured 130 at a shopping centre in Kryvyi Rih.

The Ashenda cultural and religious festival in Mekelle, Ethiopia, has been cancelled due to fears of drone attacks following recent deadly strikes in the Tigray region.

Six-year-old Saja El-Khawas has died in hospital three days after being rescued from the sea off Shoreham in West Sussex. Her death follows the fatal drowning of her 14-year-old sister and parents, with police treating the incident as a tragic accident.

The rift between Prince William and Prince Harry remains unresolved as the Duke of Sussex prepares for a UK visit. Despite public calls for reconciliation, sources suggest the Prince of Wales is unwilling to forgive, creating a persistent PR challenge for the monarchy.

The bodies of two Belgian men missing since 1992 were found on Switzerland's Trift Glacier. DNA analysis confirmed the identities of the mountaineers, who disappeared near Weissmies mountain. The discovery follows accelerated glacier melting due to climate change.

A civilian-contracted aircraft crashed near the Cape Newenham radar site in Alaska, killing all eight people on board. The flight originated in Anchorage and was bound for the remote military facility. An investigation into the cause of the crash is currently underway.