Iran's Army Warns of Readiness for Renewed US Attack Amid High Tensions
Tehran says it is prepared to inflict greater damage while awaiting a definitive US response to its proposal regarding the Strait of Hormuz.
Quick Look
Iran's army warns of potential renewed US attacks and readiness for confrontation as US President Donald Trump rejects Tehran's proposal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz.
AI-generated summary
Why It Matters
Iran and the US have experienced escalating tensions involving maritime security in the Strait of Hormuz and previous military clashes and sanctions.
Iran's army voices readiness for potential renewed US attack. (AP)
Iran has warned that the United States could launch a renewed attack amid what Tehran described as Washington’s difficult regional situation, according to Iranian state media. Iranian army spokesperson Mohammad Akraminia said the country was prepared for a confrontation and “ready to inflict greater damage” on US. The warning came as tensions between Tehran and Washington remained high, even as Iran continued to pursue a diplomatic route over the Strait of Hormuz. US President Donald Trump has rejected Iran’s seven-day proposal to reopen the strategic waterway and end the conflict.
According to Al Jazeera another, Iranian army chief commander Amir Hatami said the conflict with the US had entered a critical stage and warned that Tehran remained prepared for further confrontation. “The war is not over, we have won, but we must consolidate this victory, and the aggressor enemy, which has suffered severe blows, must still be ready to receive severe blows from the dear Iranian soldiers,” Hatami said. His remarks came as Tehran continued to signal that it was prepared for further military action while keeping open the possibility of negotiations.
Iran awaits formal US response Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran had seen Trump's initial reaction to its seven-day proposal but was still waiting for Washington's definitive position through mediators. “The plans we presented were reviewed, explained, and discussed in meetings. They were also conveyed to the American side by intermediaries,” Araghchi said. “We have seen the first reaction from the US President, but nothing has been conveyed to us from the mediators yet. Of course, the US President has made many good and also contradictory statements, which unfortunately are heard a lot from him. We are waiting for the definitive opinions to be conveyed to us by the mediators, and we will make a decision based on that,” he added.
Araghchi said Iran's conditions for reopening the Strait of Hormuz had been set by the Supreme National Security Council and communicated to mediators. “In any case, our conditions are clear, and any move forward to open the Strait of Hormuz is contingent on the fulfilment of these conditions, and we will not back down from them,” he said. He also reiterated Tehran's support for a negotiated settlement, saying, “Our enemies have tried every path they could, but they have not succeeded. There will be no other path than a negotiated solution based on honour and justice, ensuring the rights of the Iranian people and meeting their legitimate demands.”
“Only a negotiated solution can get them out of this impasse. This is our position. Many countries share our position and understand it,” he added. Araghchi's response came after Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian told Al Jazeera that Tehran no longer trusted negotiations with Washington following previous rounds of talks that were followed by attacks and sanctions. “We have no trust in the American side and do not know on what basis an understanding can be reached with it,” Pezeshkian said.
Despite the tensions, Pezeshkian said Iran remained open to resolving the crisis through negotiations, adding that the Strait of Hormuz could be reopened if an agreement was reached to end the conflict. However, Trump on Saturday rejected Iran’s proposal to reopen the strategic waterway within seven days. “I reject their proposal,” he told reporters. Under the Iranian proposal, the Strait would be reopened once the necessary conditions were met, while negotiations with Washington would resume. Tehran conveyed the proposal through mediators, including Qatar and Pakistan.
What to Watch
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
US will deliver a definitive position on the Iranian proposal through mediators.
Likely · Within days
Open Questions
- What definitive response will the US give through mediators?
- Will the Strait of Hormuz remain closed?