
Independent senator calls for the removal of the funding cap, citing personal medical experiences and lack of duty of care by the Department of Veterans' Affairs.
AI-generated summary
The government announced a $5,000 cap on allied health services for veterans, scheduled to take effect on 1 July 2027. The policy has faced significant backlash from veterans and opposition politicians.
Jacqui Lambie has slammed Labor over its controversial $5,000 cap for allied health services for veterans, and accused it of a “callous disregard for veterans’ health and wellbeing”.
The independent Tasmanian senator told the Senate in a fiery speech on Wednesday of her own medical battles, and said the department of veterans affairs had shown “no duty of care”.
Labor announced the cap earlier this year, which would take effect from 1 July 2027, but veterans will be able to apply for more funding. The changes also include an increase in fees for allied health providers supporting veterans.
Lambie said the cap was unfair, and urged the prime minister to scrap it.
“I’m begging you, prime minister. We are already suffering enough. Drop the bloody cap. Drop it, mate,” Lambie told the Senate.
“It is so unfair. It is what we do not need. It is enough. Veterans have had enough. Leave us alone.”
Lambie said six months ago her vagina started to prolapse, and three months later it took her “bladder with it”. She said it was directly connected to her back injuries sustained during her time in the army.
“If I was like the majority of female veterans, I would have had to wait for DVA [the department of veterans’ affairs] to approve my claim and then I would have had to search and hope – hope like hell – that there would be a gynaecologist who would accept the low rate that was paid by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs,” she said.
“That’s how much they care about our vaginas.”
On Tuesday night, Lambie told the story of another veteran, Kate, who had also suffered a vaginal prolapse and had to wait three years because “she couldn’t find a gynaecologist who was happy with the low prices DVA pay”.
“If I didn’t have a good job, that could have been me … I put my claim into DVA over a month ago – crickets. There was no duty of care from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, absolute zero. So I came to Canberra to get the operation. I paid $7,000, so I wouldn’t end up like Kate.”
Lambie said there is limited accurate data of how many Australian women suffer from prolapse. According to the Continence Foundation of Australia, one in two women who have had a baby experience some level of prolapse. Prolapse can occur during childbirth and menopause but other common causes are from excessive weight lifting.
Lambie told the Senate she had asked the then chief of the defence force, Angus Campbell, whether there was scientific evidence that women could carry the amount of weight they were required to in the defence force. She said, “he admitted they hadn’t even bothered to look into it, and they still have not.”
“I would like to ask the prime minister, minister [Richard] Marles and minister [Matt] Keogh what they would do if their penises were hanging by a thread, and what would they do if treatment for that injury directly connected to their military service was denied by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs,” she said.
“Would they say, ‘OK, no worries. I don’t really need my penis’? I don’t think so.”
The government has been under increasing scrutiny over the $5,000 cap, with the Coalition on Wednesday calling for the veterans affairs minister, Matt Keogh, to be sacked.
Keogh had initially refused a meeting with veterans in Canberra earlier this week advocating against the cap, but folded after political pressure. Veterans at the meeting accused him of rolling his eyes at them and refusing to shake their hand.
The veterans affairs minister told question time on Tuesday he would not have characterised the meeting in that way. He conceded he had made the wrong call, but the government has made no indication yet it will reconsider the cap.
“I acknowledge that I got it wrong in not agreeing to meet with them last week when that initial request came in. I own that.”
Alberta's separatist movement, fueled by economic grievances and a sense of underrepresentation, is set to face a referendum on October 19, with up to 30% of the population reportedly supporting independence, amidst warnings of Brexit-like turmoil and accusations of US influence.

Liberal frontbencher Andrew Hastie maintained a notable silence during federal parliament question time this week while facing political threats from Pauline Hanson's One Nation in Western Australia and pushing for a new AI committee.
The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) will implement a gun buyback scheme, similar to NSW's, as part of a national effort to strengthen gun laws post-Bondi Beach terrorist attack. The Commonwealth will fund 75% of buyback and 100% of destruction costs.

The Plymouth Brethren Christian Church has denied allegations that it paid far-right influencers to target Anthony Albanese. The church also rejected claims it coordinated hundreds of volunteers to support Liberal candidates during the 2025 election campaign.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke announced that a former ASIO agent, 'Marcus,' can testify at the Bondi royal commission remotely, as his evidence is now declassified. The agent, currently living abroad, seeks Australian resettlement due to safety concerns.
Former NSW Liberal minister David Elliott announced plans for legal action against individuals he claims slandered him, following ICAC testimony regarding alleged political interference by property developer Jean Nassif.