
Three confederations are discussing a potential motion of censure to overthrow the presidency of Gianni Infantino amid a governance crisis.
The confederations of UEFA, AFC and Concacaf are reportedly considering a vote of no confidence to overthrow FIFA President Gianni Infantino, weakened by a private investor project and a serious breach of trust.
AI-generated summary
Gianni Infantino faces increased tensions after an aborted project by private investors at FIFA and a breakdown in confidence reported by several confederations.
Will the three confederations of UEFA (Europe), AFC (Asia) and Concacaf (North America, Central America and the Caribbean) try to bring Gianni Infantino into turmoil since his aborted project of private investors at Fifa? This hypothesis is put forward by the Reuters agency which affirms that the three entities are discussing a vote of no confidence in order to obtain the votes necessary to overthrow the current presidency.
On the sidelines of the European Super Cup which pitted Paris SG against Aston Villa on August 12, rumors were already speaking of discussions between the leaders of these three confederations and the possibility of an institutional revolution which would however have to bring together other support to pass.
“There is no way out,” a source told Reuters on condition of anonymity as Gianni Infantino plans to run for another term next year. “Either he chooses the peaceful path and decides not to run again in March, or he chooses the path of force,” added this person, referring to this motion of censure.
The FIFA Council can convene an Extraordinary Congress at any time, and is required to do so if at least one fifth of FIFA's 211 member associations submit a written request specifying the items they wish to see included on the agenda. It must then be convened within three months, each participating association having one vote. The FIFA statutes do not contain any specific provision relating to a motion of censure against its president.
UEFA did not comment directly on whether a vote of no confidence was being considered, instead referring Reuters to its earlier statement that a review of FIFA's leadership and governance should be "thorough and fundamental" and that "no option should be ruled out."
Concacaf did the same, referring the agency to another previous joint statement with UEFA and the AFC. In it, the three institutions accuse the FIFA management of a serious breach of trust. As for the AFC, it has not responded to a request for comment at this time.
But the game is far from being a foregone conclusion for the rebels. No candidate came forward publicly before the deadline for submitting applications, set for November 18, and Infantino retains the support of some of FIFA's members. CAF president Patrice Motsepe said last week that Infantino continued to enjoy support from Africa and his future should be decided by FIFA members in the election.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Deadline for submitting applications is November 18.
Very likely · Within weeks

Le président de la CONCACAF, Victor Montagliani, a exhorté le président de la FIFA, Gianni Infantino, à renoncer à sa visite en République dominicaine pour un tournoi junior, invoquant les risques de polémiques liées à la crise de gouvernance actuelle au sein de la FIFA.
Donald Trump lance le « Freedom 250 Grand Prix », une course d'IndyCar inédite à Washington, pour clore les célébrations du 250e anniversaire des États-Unis. L'événement, marqué par une mise en scène spectaculaire, traverse les lieux emblématiques de la capitale.
Tadej Pogacar s'apprête à disputer la Vuelta avec l'objectif de compléter son palmarès des trois grands Tours. Le coureur slovène prévoit une stratégie agressive dès le départ à Monaco pour plier la course rapidement et préparer les championnats du monde.
Face à la baisse des revenus des droits TV, les clubs de Ligue 1 privilégient désormais le recrutement de jeunes talents dans des championnats européens secondaires comme l'Autriche, le Danemark ou la Suisse, misant sur des coûts réduits et un fort potentiel de revente.
À 21 ans, le Français Alex Lanier a décroché une place historique en finale des Championnats du monde de badminton à New Delhi. Après avoir perdu le premier set, il a battu le Canadien Victor Lai en trois manches (16-21, 21-13, 21-14).

Le cycliste français Julian Alaphilippe, double champion du monde et vainqueur de Milan-San Remo, a annoncé sa retraite le 21 août. Cette décision a suscité de nombreux hommages de la part de coureurs internationaux, saluant son panache et son héritage.