Despite US reductions in military rhetoric and planned downscaling of exercises, North Korea continues to test missiles and criticize the exercises.
AI-generated summary
The United States and South Korea reduced joint military exercises as a diplomatic concession to North Korea.
Following diplomatic concessions from the US, North Korea has fired at least ten short-range missiles. According to the South Korean military, the projectiles flew into the Sea of Japan, east of the Asian peninsula. The high number of rocket launches is unusual for the regime of ruler Kim Jong-un.
A few days earlier there had been signs of a rapprochement with the South Korean neighbor and its US protective power. In doing so, they accommodated Kim's regime. A joint military maneuver that the two countries are currently conducting is expected to be significantly smaller.
Military exercise ends on Friday
The military exercise is only scheduled to last half as long as planned and will end on Friday. The US government did not inform the South Korean foreign minister about this in advance, as South Korean media reported. Nevertheless, South Korean President Lee Jae-myung said he supported Trump's approach, "even if it means scaling back joint military exercises between South Korea and the United States."
US President Donald Trump spoke at the weekend of a “very good relationship” with Kim. He also stated that he wanted to meet Kim in person later this year. South Korea's president spoke out in favor of direct talks with the North Korean dictator in mid-August.
North Korea calls for an immediate end to the military maneuvers
Despite the concession, North Korea's regime continued to criticize the military exercises. This does not change their "provocative and offensive character," said the ruler's sister, Kim Yo-jong, according to the North Korean news agency KCNA.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
End of the joint military exercise on Friday
Very likely · Within days

Bei russischen Drohnenangriffen auf ein Einkaufszentrum in Krywyj Rih starben mindestens 16 Menschen, 130 wurden verletzt. Ein weiterer Angriff in der Region Mykolajiw forderte vier Todesopfer, darunter drei Kinder.

Bei einem russischen Drohnenangriff auf ein belebtes Einkaufszentrum in Krywyj Rih wurden mindestens 16 Menschen getötet und über 130 verletzt. Die Attacke erfolgte in zwei Wellen, wobei die zweite gezielt Rettungskräfte traf.

Russland intensiviert Angriffe auf ukrainische Städte und Infrastruktur, während Bundesaußenminister Wadephul Kiew besucht. Parallel dazu gibt es Berichte über Drohnenangriffe in Russland, Luftraumverletzungen in Finnland und ein mutmaßliches russisches Waffendepot bei Berlin.

Der Iran-Konflikt verschärft sich durch US-Wirtschaftssanktionen und militärische Blockaden. Während die USA ihre Präsenz in der Straße von Hormus verstärken, droht Teheran mit Widerstand. Parallel dazu eskaliert die Gewalt im Westjordanland.

Bei russischen Drohnenangriffen auf ein Einkaufszentrum in Krywyj Rih starben mindestens 16 Menschen, 130 wurden verletzt. Ein weiterer Angriff in der Region Mykolajiw forderte vier weitere Todesopfer, darunter drei Kinder.

Während eines Solidaritätsbesuchs von Bundesaußenminister Johann Wadephul in Kiew griff Russland den Vorort Boryspil mit ballistischen Raketen an. Dabei wurden mindestens zwei Menschen getötet und acht verletzt. Zeitgleich meldet die Ukraine weitere Angriffe.