
Romania's energy ministry takes Cernavodă Unit 2 offline as drought severely lowers the Danube River, threatening national energy supplies.
Romania shut down the final operating nuclear reactor at the Cernavodă plant on Thursday after the drought-hit Danube River dropped too low to supply cooling water, following the earlier shutdown of Unit 1.
AI-generated summary
Cernavodă's two reactors normally supply around a fifth of Romania's electricity. Drought last forced a reactor offline in 2003.
Romania took Cernavodă’s second and last operating nuclear reactor offline on Thursday after the drought-hit Danube River fell too low to supply its cooling pumps.
“At 10:53 a.m., Unit 2 of Cernavodă NPP was shut down in a controlled manner,” Romania’s Energy Ministry said in a press release.
The government insisted the national grid remained stable and said it would bridge the shortfall with imports, hydropower, wind, coal and reserve generation. Romania had already notified the European Commission of an electricity crisis after the shutdown of Unit 1 on July 28, with Unit 2 accounting for roughly another 700 megawatts — about 10 percent of national production.
Cernavodă could stay offline for a while. “The forecast for the next 10 days shows a continuous decrease in the flow and level of the Danube,” plant director Romeo Urjan told Romanian news outlet Digi24 on Tuesday evening, saying officials did not expect to restart Unit 2 during that period.
Emergency dredging, rock blasting and sunk barges had bought the reactor roughly another week of operation.
The shutdown is the latest fallout from a drought emptying Europe’s rivers. Copernicus Sentinel-2 satellite images released last week showed the Danube shrinking dramatically compared with last summer, exposing sandbanks and parched countryside north of Budapest in Hungary.
The river has hit a record low in Hungary, while record-low levels have also been reported in Romania, disrupting shipping and straining energy and water supplies.
Hungary is scrambling to keep its Paks nuclear plant operating. With output down to little more than 10 percent, Prime Minister Péter Magyar ordered the construction of a riverbed barrier Wednesday and put two barges on standby to be sunk if the Danube falls further.
Cernavodă’s two reactors normally supply around a fifth of Romania’s electricity. Before this summer, drought last forced a reactor there offline in 2003.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Unit 2 will remain offline for at least the next 10 days.
Very likely · Within days

Washington will pay German energy firm RWE $1.22 billion to cancel its offshore wind leases off the US coasts, as the company shifts its investments toward natural gas projects.

Germany faces growing pressure to abandon its free-market approach and order state-controlled energy firms to buy gas as storage levels hit historic lows ahead of winter, threatening wider European supplies.

The US will pay $1.22 billion to RWE to relinquish its offshore wind leases off the coasts of New York, California, and Louisiana, with RWE investing in US natural gas projects instead.

A second LNG tanker, GasLog Shanghai, was struck by a projectile off Oman in the Strait of Hormuz, extending QatarEnergy's force majeure deliveries and causing insurance premiums to climb. This follows a previous attack on July 7 and impacts Qatar's vital LNG exports.

Hungary's Paks Nuclear Power Plant, supplying 40% of electricity, is shutting down due to record low Danube River levels caused by drought. PM Péter Magyar warns of an energy crisis, urging conservation as temperatures are forecast to exceed 40°C. The EU is monitoring.

The Iran war's reignition has disrupted oil flow through the Strait of Hormuz, pushing Brent crude to $100 a barrel. Gulf nations are accelerating at least seven major pipeline projects to reroute oil via the Red Sea, Suez Canal, and Gulf of Oman, with Iraq securing a $60 billion deal for a Syria pipeline.