
German energy firm RWE reaches settlement with US Department of the Interior to relinquish wind projects and pivot to natural gas.
Washington will pay German energy firm RWE $1.22 billion to cancel its offshore wind leases off the US coasts, as the company shifts its investments toward natural gas projects.
AI-generated summary
US President Donald Trump has campaigned against offshore wind energy projects, labeling them an environmental and economic disaster.
Washington will fork out $1.22 billion (€1.06 billion) to German energy firm RWE to cancel the company's offshore wind leases.
RWE said on Thursday that it had reached a settlement with the US Department of the Interior (DOI) to relinquish leases off the coasts of New York, California, and Louisiana.
"After careful consideration, it was determined there is no path forward to permit these projects in the U.S. for the foreseeable future," the company said in a statement.
Trump vs wind energy
US President Donald Trump, long a critic of wind energy, has embarked on a campaign to halt a number of such projects across the US.
Trump has repeatedly dismissed wind turbines as unsightly and has labelled them an "economic and environmental disaster." He previously said that he did not want "even one" built during his time in office.
In March, French energy giant TotalEnergies announced that it had also reached an agreement with the US Interior Department to cut its leases at Carolina Long Bay and New York Bight. The DOI said it would pay TotalEnergies around $1 billion as part of the agreement, which would see the French firm instead invest in natural gas projects.
RWE said it would also be investing in gas projects across the US "to meet rapidly growing energy demand." That includes a $900 million investment to acquire a 16% stake in a Louisiana liquified natural gas project.
"RWE Americas has announced plans to invest approximately €17 billion in the U.S. over the next six years to grow its generation capacity from approximately 13 GW across 27 states today to 22 GW by 2031," the company added.
Doug Burgum, the US Interior Secretary, has praised the deal, writing on X: "We welcome RWE’s agreement and voluntary investment in projects that strengthen our nation's energy security, provide dependable baseload power and help keep electricity affordable for hardworking Americans today while supporting our country's long-term energy future."

Romania shut down the final operating nuclear reactor at the Cernavodă plant on Thursday after the drought-hit Danube River dropped too low to supply cooling water, following the earlier shutdown of Unit 1.

Germany faces growing pressure to abandon its free-market approach and order state-controlled energy firms to buy gas as storage levels hit historic lows ahead of winter, threatening wider European supplies.

The US will pay $1.22 billion to RWE to relinquish its offshore wind leases off the coasts of New York, California, and Louisiana, with RWE investing in US natural gas projects instead.

A second LNG tanker, GasLog Shanghai, was struck by a projectile off Oman in the Strait of Hormuz, extending QatarEnergy's force majeure deliveries and causing insurance premiums to climb. This follows a previous attack on July 7 and impacts Qatar's vital LNG exports.

Hungary's Paks Nuclear Power Plant, supplying 40% of electricity, is shutting down due to record low Danube River levels caused by drought. PM Péter Magyar warns of an energy crisis, urging conservation as temperatures are forecast to exceed 40°C. The EU is monitoring.

The Iran war's reignition has disrupted oil flow through the Strait of Hormuz, pushing Brent crude to $100 a barrel. Gulf nations are accelerating at least seven major pipeline projects to reroute oil via the Red Sea, Suez Canal, and Gulf of Oman, with Iraq securing a $60 billion deal for a Syria pipeline.