
Four killed, five critically injured in train collision with school minibus in Buggenhout, Belgium
AI-generated summary
Two children, aged 12 and 15, and two adults have been killed in a collision between a train and a school minibus in Buggenhout, northern Belgium.
The bus was carrying seven children, a driver, 49, and a chaperone, 27, at the time of the collision, which took place shortly after 08:00 local time (06:00 GMT).
Federal police spokeswoman An Berger said it had been on its way to a special education school.
Belgian mobility minister Jean-Luc Crucke confirmed reports that the barriers on a level crossing had been down when the crash happened.
The other five children who were on the bus were in a critical but stable condition in hospital, the public prosecutor's spokeswoman said.
Berger said the minibus had been travelling on a street parallel to the railway and then the driver turned left on to the level crossing while the barrier was already down.
At that point, a train was heading through the small town of Buggenhout and ran into the minibus.
The impact of the crash was extremely violent, as the train was travelling at about 90km/h (55mph). The minibus collided with a pole before being thrown some distance into the driveway of a nearby house.
Nobody on the train was hurt, although one person was being treated for shock, according to Berger.
"What heartbreaking news," Flemish education minister Zuhal Demir posted on social media. "My thoughts are with all the victims, their families and everyone closely involved."
The train was slowing down at the time of the collision on its approach to Buggenhout station, Thomas Baeken, a spokesman for Belgian rail network Infrabel, told public broadcaster VRT.
He added that first indications from CCTV footage confirmed that the lights on the level crossing were red and the barrier was down. Other sources who saw the footage told Belgian media that the minibus could be seen striking the barrier before the crash.
"How this accident could have happened, we don't know. That is for the police and the public prosecutor's office to investigate," Baeken said.
Another Flemish minister, Annick De Ridder, told Belgian TV it was terrible news and too early to talk of responsibility at this stage.
In a press conference late on Tuesday afternoon, the public prosecutor's office said the train driver had passed a breathalyser test and a post mortem examination was being conducted on the minibus driver, who had no criminal convictions.
No further details were given about the condition of the five children in hospital.
Vinay Gupta, a 31-year-old Adobe software engineer, was allegedly beaten to death by his wife's family in Delhi over a minor matrimonial dispute, with his family claiming a pre-planned conspiracy.

Pierre Michel Formosa, 68 tuổi, tử vong sau khi đi bộ 2,1 km trong cái nóng gần 50 độ C tại Thung lũng Chết, bang California, sau khi xe bị kẹt.
A 15-year-old American student was injured in a hit-and-run incident in Juhu, Mumbai, when a speeding motorcyclist crashed into her and fled. This is the second such incident in recent times in the western suburbs involving a school student.

Darıca'da kıyaya vurmuş 3 ceset, kardeşler Gülşah, Muhammet Ali ve Belinay Sakar'a ait. İlk bulgular ölüm nedenini suda boğulma olarak gösterdi. Otopsiden darp izi bulunmadı. Kardeşlerin son yolculuğuna doğum günü olan Belinay, 15. yaş gününde toprağa verildi.

Se cumplen 10 años del asesinato de Diana Quer, víctima de 'El Chicle'. Su padre, Juan Carlos Quer, recuerda su legado en la lucha contra la derogación de la prisión permanente revisable.

봉은사 주지 명진스님(76세, 법랍 52년)이 22일 제주 서귀포시 해상에서 프리다이빙 사고로 입적했다. 해경은 구조 당시 스님이 프리다이빙 장비를 착용하고 있었던 것으로 프리다이빙 연습 중 사고로 추정하고 있다.