
Former US president calls joint exercises 'costly' and 'hostile' in a social media post as annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills begin.
Donald Trump criticised US-South Korea joint military exercises as 'costly' and 'hostile' on social media, highlighting his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un as Seoul and Washington begin annual drills.
AI-generated summary
South Korea and the US began their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise on Monday. Trump previously met Kim Jong-un in Singapore in 2018, Hanoi in 2019, and Panmunjom in June 2019.
Trump’s comments in a social media post on Sunday came as South Korea and the US began their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise on Monday, putting Seoul in an awkward position of defending the alliance while not undercutting his latest overture to Kim, according to analysts.
“Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong-un of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea,” he wrote on Truth Social, calling the drills “costly” and a “totally inappropriate and hostile” signal to North Korea.
Analysts say Trump appears to desire talks with Kim again and give him a foreign policy win. But they see little prospect of a breakthrough given North Korea’s growing alignment with Russia and China, its nuclear ambitions and its distrust of Washington after the failed Hanoi summit in February 2019.
In the same post, Trump said he had also asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether Seoul would like to join the effort to denuclearise Iran, and was told: “No thanks.”
On Saturday, Trump posted a photo on social media of him meeting Kim at the inter-Korean border village of Panmunjom in June 2019, repeating his claim that he and Kim “get along great”.
In June, Trump also posted photos from his first meeting with Kim in Singapore in June 2018, their second summit in Hanoi and their Panmunjom meeting, fuelling speculation about his desire to rekindle ties with the North Korean leader.

美國前總統川普21日在南卡羅來納州造勢,呼籲支持者將其視為選票候選人,藉此提升共和黨選民投票率。此舉旨在檢視川普對該州共和黨選民的影響力,並為其背書的候選人諾多恩催票,同時警告若失去國會多數將面臨彈劾風險。

針對柯文哲指民進黨立委沈伯洋參選台北市長「太弱」,導致蔣萬安選情無壓力,國民黨台北市議員詹為元表示不認同,強調沈伯洋背後有中央政府與民進黨龐大資源挹注,國民黨對選戰始終保持兢兢業業的態度。

玻利維亞國會因經濟部長艾斯皮諾薩缺席質詢,投票決議將其撤換。總統巴斯在面臨國內40年來最嚴重經濟危機與民怨壓力下,被迫解僱艾斯皮諾薩,並由環境部長品托暫代職務。

駐斐濟代表吳正偉於《島嶼商業》投書,呼籲太平洋島國論壇應堅守「太平洋之道」,由區域國家自主決定事務,避免淪為大國角力場。文中強調台灣作為長期發展夥伴,將持續遵循論壇共識,透過務實合作貢獻區域發展。

喬治城大學法學院副教授Mark Jia指出,中國正透過《反外國制裁法》及懲治「台獨」司法意見,打造法律長臂管轄。此舉不僅影響台灣,更改變了主權競爭形態,台灣需建立法律防火牆並強化國際司法協調以應對。

華府智庫「美國進步中心」發布報告指川普部署國民兵未降低犯罪,遭川普律師威脅若不撤回將面臨50億美元訴訟。該中心拒絕撤回,總裁譚登批評此舉意在噤聲。