
In response to the Sydney Bondi Beach shooting at the end of last year, New South Wales, Australia, will launch a large-scale gun buyback in November, with a maximum compensation of A$1,000 per gun.
AI-generated summary
After the Port Arthur shooting in Tasmania in 1996, Australia launched a large-scale gun control and buyback program.
(Central News Agency, Sydney, 16th, comprehensive foreign news reports) Australian Prime Minister Albanese said today that New South Wales (New South Wales) will start implementing a gun buyback program in November. The policy comes in response to the shooting deaths of 15 people at Sydney's Bondi Beach late last year.
The Anthony Albanese government passed relevant bills in January this year. In addition to launching a gun buyback system, it also strengthened gun license qualification examinations and expanded the crackdown on hate crimes.
It is believed that the powerful firearms possessed by the Bondi shooter were purchased legally. According to government data last year, there are currently 4.1 million legal guns in Australia, of which more than 1.1 million are concentrated in New South Wales, Australia's most populous state.
This gun buyback will be the largest since 1996. After a major shooting in Port Arthur, Tasmania, killed 35 people, Australia immediately launched a gun control and buyback program.
Albanese and New South Wales Governor Chris Minns said in a joint statement that the program will begin on November 2. People who return rifles and pistols will receive compensation of up to 1,000 Australian dollars (approximately NT$22,659) for each gun.
Albanese said in a televised talk: "Australians are very proud of our gun laws, but the fact is that the number of guns in Australia today is greater than when the Port Arthur gun buyback was launched."
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
New South Wales will officially launch its gun buyback program on November 2
Very likely · Within months

A Myanmar military air strike on a monastery in Myaung township, Sagaing region, killed 14 civilians during a Buddhist Lent meditation retreat. The attack, which occurred Friday morning, resulted in the deaths of 11 men and three women aged 50 to 70.

哈利王子之妻梅根計畫重返英國,但面臨民調低迷及與王室關係緊張的挑戰。專家分析其個人品牌重塑與家庭生活將是未來重心,且其子女預計於九月在英國入學。

德國外交部長瓦德福訪問基輔,嚴厲譴責普丁加劇對烏克蘭的侵略戰爭。德國宣布提供5000萬歐元人道援助,並向北約基金注資1000萬歐元,用於強化烏克蘭能源網絡及無人機防禦系統。
受台风“紫檀”影响,越南广宁省、海防市及东北部地区预计将迎来强降雨与雷暴天气。中国驻越南大使馆提醒在越中国公民密切关注天气预警,加强防范,避免前往高风险区域,并公布了领事保护应急联系方式。

越南前國會議員阮士強一年前開車撞死18歲少女,近期官媒證實其免除刑事責任,引爆越南Z世代怒火。大批網友透過社群平台串聯發聲,引發國際媒體關注,越南政府則警告有心人士煽動騷亂。

伊朗總統裴澤斯基安表示伊朗處於有利位置,是時候結束與美國的戰爭。然而,美國財政部長貝森特矢言透過新一輪制裁讓伊朗政權崩潰,使局勢轉向經濟施壓。