Breaking
TRGaziantep'te Milletvekili Melih Meriç'e Bıçaklı SaldırıTRİranlı eski Cumhurbaşkanı Hatemi'den ABD ile imzalanan mutabakata destekARتسليم ضابط سوري سابق، وتوترات إسرائيلية تركية، وعمليات واسعة في الضفة الغربيةRUDenmark deploys military conscripts to Greenland amid US annexation threatsUSHackers Steal Data of Over 3.75 Million in CareCloud BreachEUCentral African Republic Gold Mine Landslide Kills At Least 100ITItalia divisa: caldo estivo e rischio temporali al Nord, mentre al Sud torna l'alta pressioneCNNick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended from Tennis After Testing Positive for CocaineSE15-årig flicka utnyttjades sexuellt av man - Dömd för köp av sexuell handling och alkoholinköpINCalifornia Farmers Restore Habitat, Offering Hope for ConservationTRGaziantep'te Milletvekili Melih Meriç'e Bıçaklı SaldırıTRİranlı eski Cumhurbaşkanı Hatemi'den ABD ile imzalanan mutabakata destekARتسليم ضابط سوري سابق، وتوترات إسرائيلية تركية، وعمليات واسعة في الضفة الغربيةRUDenmark deploys military conscripts to Greenland amid US annexation threatsUSHackers Steal Data of Over 3.75 Million in CareCloud BreachEUCentral African Republic Gold Mine Landslide Kills At Least 100ITItalia divisa: caldo estivo e rischio temporali al Nord, mentre al Sud torna l'alta pressioneCNNick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended from Tennis After Testing Positive for CocaineSE15-årig flicka utnyttjades sexuellt av man - Dömd för köp av sexuell handling och alkoholinköpINCalifornia Farmers Restore Habitat, Offering Hope for Conservation
Newsgather
BackVenezuela earthquake miracle: trapped for 50 hours but still showing signs of life
Venezuela earthquake miracle: trapped for 50 hours but still showing signs of life
Developing
自由时报7/2/2026World2 min readChinaView original

Venezuela earthquake miracle: trapped for 50 hours but still showing signs of life

Quick Look

  • Hill, a 43-year-old security guard in Venezuela, was trapped under the rubble of a collapsed building for more than 50 hours after the strong earthquake.
  • There are still signs of life.
  • More than 100 rescue workers are working hard to rescue him.

AI-generated summary

Font size

One week after Venezuela was hit by two powerful earthquakes with magnitudes 7.2 and 7.5, a miracle was reported today (2nd). A 43-year-old security guard who was trapped under the rubble of a collapsed building still showed signs of life. Currently, more than 100 rescue workers have been conducting rescue operations for more than 50 hours.

According to comprehensive media reports, the Venezuelan security guard, Hernán Gil, was working in the guard room of a building in Catia La Mar when the earthquake occurred. The 7-story building was almost flattened by the strong earthquake on June 24.

Please read on...

A spokesperson for the Costa Rican Red Cross said that Hill was trapped in an underground passage inside the guardhouse, but due to the weight of about 140 tons of rubble above and the extremely complex terrain, the rescue team had readjusted its strategy to find a new entry point.

A Portuguese rescuer at the scene pointed out, "We are very close to him, but we must ensure that everything is safe. We need to get closer to rescue him without endangering his life and the safety of the rescuers." Currently, the rescue team continues to maintain contact with Hill, replenishing his fluids and providing him with medical treatment.

Experts from Chile and the United States are also involved in the rescue, but it is still impossible to estimate how long it will take, because the closer to the trapped people, the higher the risk, and more manpower and closer monitoring are required.

Venezuelan Red Cross volunteers said that Hill’s wife had been waiting at the scene since the earthquake. She said that the rescue passage is extremely narrow and complicated, and currently it can only be done by hand, because heavy machinery may deteriorate the collapsed building structure and increase the risk of collapse.

Related Topics

This article was originally published by 自由时报.

Related Stories

More on this topicVenezuela