Trump: There will be no tolls in the Strait of Hormuz during the ceasefire and after
Quick Look
- President Trump issued a statement stating that no tolls will be charged in the Strait of Hormuz during the 60 days of the ceasefire, and will not be charged after 60 days.
- He said the United States would not charge fees unless a relevant agreement could not be reached.
- The previous memorandum of understanding between the United States and Iran stipulated that Iran will ensure free and safe passage of commercial ships within 60 days.
AI-generated summary
On June 20, local time, US President Trump posted on the social media platform "Real Social" that no tolls would be charged in the Strait of Hormuz during the 60 days of the ceasefire. After the 60-day period, no tolls will be charged. However, Trump said that unless a relevant agreement cannot be reached, the United States may charge tolls on the Strait of Hormuz to compensate the United States for the cost of "protecting" the Middle East.
According to the content of the U.S.-Iran memorandum of understanding previously released by Iranian official media and U.S. officials, the terms involving passage through the Strait of Hormuz clearly state that Iran will do its best to make arrangements to ensure that commercial ships can safely and free travel between the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman within a 60-day period. After the 60-day period, the management system of the Strait of Hormuz will be established through dialogue between Iran and Oman and consultations with other Persian Gulf coastal countries.
(CCTV reporter Cao Jian)
In the early morning of the 18th, Beijing time, officials from the United States and Iran confirmed that the presidents of the United States and Iran had signed a memorandum of understanding. The United States and Iran have pledged to negotiate and reach a final agreement within up to 60 days.
On the 18th local time, Iran’s Supreme National Security Council issued a statement stating that according to Article 5 of the Iran-US Memorandum of Understanding, merchant ships applying to pass through the Strait of Hormuz must submit an application to the Persian Gulf Straits Authority. Within 60 days, the applicant does not need to pay any fees, and these fees will be borne by the Iranian government.







