
Pallister claims victory in Irvine, California, marking Ledecky's first 800m defeat in a major international meet.
Australia's Lani Pallister defeated US star Katie Ledecky in the 800m freestyle at the Pan Pacific Championships in Irvine, California, handing Ledecky her first defeat in the event at a major international meet.
AI-generated summary
Katie Ledecky has dominated the 800m freestyle since winning Olympic gold in 2012, securing 13 international golds.
Australia’s Lani Pallister dealt US great Katie Ledecky her first 800m freestyle defeat in a major international meet, beating her one-time idol at the Pan Pacific Championships in Irvine, California.
Pallister led wire-to-wire on the way to victory in 8min 06.10sec and for the first time ever in the event Ledecky’s late charge wasn’t enough and she finished second in 8:07.26.
Ledecky has dominated the 800m since she won Olympic gold in 2012 as a 15-year-old, winning 13 international golds since then. That includes four Olympic medals and seven world titles in the event.
Canadian Summer McIntosh did beat Ledecky once in the 800m free in that span, at a sectional meet in Florida in February 2024.
World record-holder Ledecky maintained her hold on the event with a razor-thin victory over Pallister in a World Championships thriller last year in Singapore, where Ledecky said her rule for herself as younger swimmers began closing in was “I don’t lose 800s”.
Pallister, who claimed her first career win over Ledecky in the 400m free earlier this week before finishing second behind her in the 1,500m, showed that rule can be broken as the 29-year-old American looks toward adding to her collection of nine Olympic gold medals at the 2028 Los Angeles Games.
The Australian punched the water in delight and got a hug over the lane rope from Ledecky. She paid tribute to the American in a post-race interview.
“Katie is such a dominant force and I think it’s really important we give her a big round of a hand,” she said. “Without her, we wouldn’t have women’s distance swimming in the place we’re at at the moment.
“To be part of that story at the moment [it’s] pretty much all because we get to chase Katie.”
Australian Jamie Jack won the men’s 50m free in 21.35sec and Zac Stubblety-Cook rallied from fourth at the final turn to win the men’s 200m breaststroke in 2:08.09 and give Australia another gold in the four-day meeting of top swimmers from non-European countries.
Sam Short clocked an Australian record of 14:33.97 to add 1,500m freestyle to his 400m and 800m gold.
Short, who pulled off the same treble at the Commonwealth Games, finished 8.62sec in front of Japan’s Kazushi Imafuku and said he was inspired by the world record of 14:26.79 set by Germany’s Johannes Liebmann at the European Championships in Paris on Saturday.
American Bobby Finke, the two-time Olympic gold medallist whose world mark was broken by Liebmann, was third in 14:44.26.

Ben Stokes and Joe Root have criticized the decision to exclude Headingley from the 2027 men's Ashes series. Stokes labeled the omission 'shambolic,' noting the team's strong record at the Leeds venue, which will not host a men's Ashes Test until 2031.

Chelsea forward Joao Pedro has signed a contract extension keeping him at the club until 2034. The 24-year-old, who scored 20 goals last season, received improved terms as a reward for his performance and to protect the club's investment amid interest from Barcelona.

Lionel Messi has been fined an undisclosed amount by the MLS disciplinary committee for slapping Philadelphia Union midfielder Quinn Sullivan during a 2-2 draw at Subaru Park. The incident occurred in the 101st minute of the match.

Arsenal legend Ian Wright has criticized the club for their treatment of Gabriel Martinelli, who has been omitted from recent squads. Arsenal, seeking to sell players to balance their squad, maintain the decision is based on tactical depth.

Two WNBA games were paused after spectators threw sex toys onto the court. The incidents, occurring in Chicago and Los Angeles, mirror similar disruptions from last season linked to protests against the league's policies on transgender athletes.

Headingley will host no men's Test cricket for two years, causing financial strain for Yorkshire CCC despite recent debt clearance. While the venue remains iconic for historic matches, the lack of marquee fixtures like the Ashes creates a £2m-£3m annual loss.