
Hong Kong government expresses serious concern over incident that triggered Nato fighter jet intercept.
A Cathay Pacific flight to London lost communication over Romanian airspace last month after the crew selected the wrong radio frequency, prompting a Nato fighter jet intercept, an investigation report shows.
AI-generated summary
A Cathay Pacific flight bound for London lost communication over Romanian airspace due to an incorrect radio frequency selection, triggering a Nato intercept.
The flight crew of Hong Kong flag carrier Cathay Pacific Airways selected the wrong radio frequency due to a mistaken response to instructions, leading to the London-bound flight’s loss of communication with the local air traffic control unit over Romanian airspace last month, an investigation report has revealed.
The Hong Kong government said on Friday that the Civil Aviation Department had completed its review of the airline’s full investigation report and expressed “serious concern” over the incident, which triggered an intercept by a pair of Hungarian fighter jets under Nato protocols.
“The incident involved the incorrect selection of radio frequency by the concerned flight crew due to a mistaken response to air traffic controllers’ instructions for another flight, and the flight crew did not subsequently realise the loss of communication,” a department spokesman said.
He added that the report indicated that the aircraft’s communication equipment had been operating normally.
“After the incident, [Cathay Pacific] has implemented a host of improvement measures, including enhancing the operational and monitoring procedures for the flight crew regarding the communication system, and reminding the flight crew to be more vigilant at all times,” he said.
The Civil Aviation Department expressed “serious concern” over the incident, adding it had instructed Cathay Pacific to robustly follow up on the relevant improvement measures, such as providing additional training and assessment for the crew involved.

A Myanmar military air strike on a monastery in Myaung township, Sagaing region, killed 14 civilians during a Buddhist Lent meditation retreat. The attack, which occurred Friday morning, resulted in the deaths of 11 men and three women aged 50 to 70.

哈利王子之妻梅根計畫重返英國,但面臨民調低迷及與王室關係緊張的挑戰。專家分析其個人品牌重塑與家庭生活將是未來重心,且其子女預計於九月在英國入學。

德國外交部長瓦德福訪問基輔,嚴厲譴責普丁加劇對烏克蘭的侵略戰爭。德國宣布提供5000萬歐元人道援助,並向北約基金注資1000萬歐元,用於強化烏克蘭能源網絡及無人機防禦系統。
受台风“紫檀”影响,越南广宁省、海防市及东北部地区预计将迎来强降雨与雷暴天气。中国驻越南大使馆提醒在越中国公民密切关注天气预警,加强防范,避免前往高风险区域,并公布了领事保护应急联系方式。

越南前國會議員阮士強一年前開車撞死18歲少女,近期官媒證實其免除刑事責任,引爆越南Z世代怒火。大批網友透過社群平台串聯發聲,引發國際媒體關注,越南政府則警告有心人士煽動騷亂。

伊朗總統裴澤斯基安表示伊朗處於有利位置,是時候結束與美國的戰爭。然而,美國財政部長貝森特矢言透過新一輪制裁讓伊朗政權崩潰,使局勢轉向經濟施壓。