The American president cited his good relationship with Kim Jong-un to justify this drop in participation.
Donald Trump announced that he would significantly reduce the United States' participation in the "Ulchi Freedom Shield" military exercises with South Korea, citing his good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
AI-generated summary
Joint 'Ulchi Freedom Shield' exercises traditionally prepare South Korea and the United States for defense against North Korea.
It’s a gesture that should please Pyongyang, much less so Seoul. Donald Trump announced on Sunday "considerably reducing" the participation of the United States in imminent military exercises with South Korea due in particular to his "very good relationship with Kim Jong-un", the leader of North Korea.
The announcement, made on his Truth Social platform, is part of the long list of snubs addressed by the American president to historic allies of the United States since his return to the White House in 2025.
Trump welcomes Pyongyang's current attitude
Donald Trump denounces in his message exercises that are “not only costly” and which according to him “send a totally inappropriate and hostile signal” towards North Korea. A country which, “since Donald Trump became president, has been non-threatening and respectful,” he added in the third person.
Called “Ulchi Freedom Shield”, these annual exercises were to begin this Monday for 11 days and mobilize 18,000 South Korean soldiers as well as personnel from the American contingent of 28,500 men stationed in the country. A regular summer event for the South Korean armed forces and their American allies, these maneuvers are designed to prepare them for defense against North Korea, a country with nuclear weapons. Joint military exercises with the United States began “as planned”, the South Korean Ministry of Defense nevertheless assured this Monday.
Seoul’s “no” to Trump on Iran
On Truth Social, Donald Trump also mentioned Seoul's non-participation in US military operations against Iran. "Although it's relatively unrelated(?), I recently asked the president of South Korea if they would join us in denuclearizing the Islamic Republic of Iran and they said 'No thanks!' “, he wrote. South Korean President Lee Jae Myung said in June, in the midst of a lull in the conflict between the United States and Iran, that Donald Trump now wanted to focus on resolving “the North Korean question”.
Considered conciliatory towards North Korea, Lee Jae Myung has taken the opposite view from his predecessor, known for his firmness, since coming to power in June 2025, offering Pyongyang talks without preconditions. But the North Korean authorities have so far not responded to these repeated offers.
This weekend was therefore an opportunity for Donald Trump to show his desire to reconnect with Pyongyang. On Saturday, he published an image on Truth Social showing him alongside Kim Jong-un during their historic meeting in 2019, during his first term. “Despite the unfriendly appearances in this particular photo, there are plenty of us smiling,” he captioned it, adding, “Kim Jong-un and I get along VERY WELL!” »
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
South Korea's Defense Ministry continues planned joint military exercises.
Very likely · Within days

La CGT et Familles de France s'opposent à un rapport gouvernemental suggérant jusqu'à 4,2 milliards d'euros d'économies sur les politiques familiales. Les critiques portent sur les menaces pesant sur les APL, les frais de scolarité et les pensions de retraite.
La France Insoumise enregistre une affluence record de plus de 8 000 participants à ses universités d'été à Châteauneuf-sur-Isère. Les militants expriment une forte ferveur autour de la candidature de Jean-Luc Mélenchon pour l'élection présidentielle de 2027.
En déplacement à Mayotte, Édouard Philippe a répliqué aux critiques de Jean-Luc Mélenchon concernant ses propositions restrictives sur l'immigration. Il a invité son adversaire à constater sur place les conséquences concrètes de la crise migratoire.

La mairie de Paris a annoncé la mise à l'abri de 253 personnes, principalement des migrants, installées devant la mairie de Paris Centre. Ces individus avaient été évacués d'un campement du Samu social dans le 13e arrondissement par les autorités étatiques.

Après le piratage massif des données du fisc, plusieurs élus, dont David Lisnard et Sarah Knafo, demandent le report ou l'annulation de la réforme de la facturation électronique, jugeant l'État incapable de garantir la sécurité des données sensibles des entreprises.

La vente de La Boisserie, demeure historique du général de Gaulle à Colombey-les-Deux-Eglises, est fragilisée par des tensions entre les petits-fils propriétaires, remettant en cause le projet de rachat par le département de la Haute-Marne.