Moroccan authorities arrested 111 people, mostly from sub-Saharan Africa, attempting to cross into Spain's Ceuta enclave on August 15, following social media calls for a mass border crossing.
AI-generated summary
A previous mass crossing on July 30 saw over 72,000 migrants enter Ceuta, leading to increased security measures.
Moroccan authorities arrested at least 111 people on Saturday after a group attempted to reach Spain's North African enclave of Ceuta, following calls on social media for another mass border crossing. The arrests came about two weeks after a large influx of migrants reached Ceuta from Morocco, prompting Spain to reinforce security around the enclave. According to a source in Morocco's interior ministry cited by Sky News, 109 of those arrested were from sub-Saharan Africa and two were Moroccan nationals. They were detained in and around Fnideq, the Moroccan city located across the border from Ceuta. Moroccan authorities had been monitoring social media posts calling for another mass crossing on August 15 and had warned that organisers and participants could face prosecution. Spanish news agency EFE reported that Moroccan police used tear gas to disperse people gathered on hills roughly two miles from the border. Images from the area showed large numbers of Moroccan security personnel, including officers in riot gear, escorting migrants away. Spain had significantly increased its security presence in Ceuta ahead of the expected attempt. More than 500 additional police officers and soldiers were deployed, bringing the number of security personnel in the enclave to more than 1,600, according to Sky News. A barrier was also installed in the sea to discourage migrants from attempting to reach the territory by swimming. The latest attempt follows the mass crossing on July 30, when more than 72,000 people flooded into the border area. Most of those who entered Ceuta subsequently returned to Morocco, Spanish authorities said. Spanish interior minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska said around 5,000 migrants remained in Ceuta and would be returned to Morocco, except in cases involving extreme vulnerability. Many of those still there have been living in makeshift shelters along the beach. The earlier mass crossing also triggered political tensions over migration and border controls in Europe, including a dispute involving Spain and Italy. Italy temporarily suspended its open-border Schengen arrangement with Spain, reintroducing checks on air and sea travel until at least August 15. Spain, in turn, introduced passport, nationality and visa checks for passengers and visitors arriving from Italy until September 7.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Increased security measures will continue along the Ceuta border.
Likely · Within weeks
An American Airlines flight from Atlanta to Dallas Fort Worth landed safely after a passenger's laptop caught fire mid-air. The pilot reported several passengers suffered burns, and one individual received medical treatment upon arrival.
A Myanmar military air strike on a Buddhist monastery in Swel Le Oh village, Sagaing region, killed 14 people and injured 20. The victims were attending a meditation retreat when a fighter jet dropped bombs on the compound.

बांग्लादेश के सलाहकार हुमायूं कबीर के बयान के बाद देश के सऊदी अरब, पाकिस्तान और तुर्की के मक्का समझौते में शामिल होने की संभावना पर चर्चा तेज हो गई है। भारतीय विदेश मंत्रालय इस पर नजर बनाए हुए है, जबकि जानकारों ने इसे लेकर अलग-अलग राय दी है।
Rescue teams in Croatia found two dead people following the crash of a small plane from the Czech Republic in the Paklenica National Park mountains near Zadar.
Iran warned of a devastating response to upcoming U.S. sanctions announced by Treasury chief Scott Bessent, who aims to collapse the Iranian regime. Meanwhile, oil prices steadied amid disruptions in Gulf shipping.
An 18-year-old youth and both of his parents died after plunging into a deep stone quarry at Khavyda Dongar in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar following a family dispute and hours of rescue persuasion.