
Rescue operations are underway for three missing workers following a sudden rush of water and debris in Uttarakhand.
A tunnel collapse at the Vishnugad-Pipalkoti hydroelectric project in India's Uttarakhand state left seven workers dead, with three still missing as rescue teams battle rising water and debris.
AI-generated summary
Construction accidents are common in India due to fragile geology, rapid infrastructure growth, and safety standards.
A tunnel under construction at a hydropower project in India’s northern hill state of Uttarakhand collapsed overnight, leaving at least seven workers dead, officials said on Friday.
A rescue operation was launched after a sudden rush of water and debris entered the tunnel at the Vishnugad-Pipalkoti hydroelectric project in Chamoli district later on Thursday night, said top district official Gaurav Kumar.
Of 22 people who were working in the tunnel, 12 have been rescued alive and another three are still missing, the chief minister of Uttarakhand state Pushkar Singh Dhami told reporters.
Rescue teams from the national and state Disaster Response Force, Indo-Tibetan Border Police and fire services are fighting rising water and debris as they search for the remaining workers, officials said.
“When our team reached the site and started the operation, there was a lot of water inside the tunnel and water was also seeping from the sides. Since then, the water level has increased considerably,” said the commander of the National Disaster Response Force team, Amrit Lal Meena.
Construction accidents are common in India, where rapid infrastructure growth often collides with fragile geology, construction lapses, extreme weather and safety standards.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Rescue teams will continue searching for the remaining three missing workers.
Very likely · Within days

A Myanmar military air strike on a monastery in Myaung township, Sagaing region, killed 14 civilians during a Buddhist Lent meditation retreat. The attack, which occurred Friday morning, resulted in the deaths of 11 men and three women aged 50 to 70.

哈利王子之妻梅根計畫重返英國,但面臨民調低迷及與王室關係緊張的挑戰。專家分析其個人品牌重塑與家庭生活將是未來重心,且其子女預計於九月在英國入學。

德國外交部長瓦德福訪問基輔,嚴厲譴責普丁加劇對烏克蘭的侵略戰爭。德國宣布提供5000萬歐元人道援助,並向北約基金注資1000萬歐元,用於強化烏克蘭能源網絡及無人機防禦系統。
受台风“紫檀”影响,越南广宁省、海防市及东北部地区预计将迎来强降雨与雷暴天气。中国驻越南大使馆提醒在越中国公民密切关注天气预警,加强防范,避免前往高风险区域,并公布了领事保护应急联系方式。

越南前國會議員阮士強一年前開車撞死18歲少女,近期官媒證實其免除刑事責任,引爆越南Z世代怒火。大批網友透過社群平台串聯發聲,引發國際媒體關注,越南政府則警告有心人士煽動騷亂。

伊朗總統裴澤斯基安表示伊朗處於有利位置,是時候結束與美國的戰爭。然而,美國財政部長貝森特矢言透過新一輪制裁讓伊朗政權崩潰,使局勢轉向經濟施壓。