
Greater Manchester Mayor proposes bringing football’s premier tournament back to Britain for the first time since 1966.
AI-generated summary
The UK last hosted the men's World Cup in 1966. Fifa regulations currently prevent European nations from hosting until 2042 due to continental rotation rules.
Andy Burnham has said he wants to bring the men’s World Cup to the UK in 2042, returning the tournament to Britain for the first time in almost eight decades.
During informal discussions at No 10 North in Manchester on Friday, the prime minister told regional mayors he was keen for the tournament to be played in the British Isles.
The World Cup took place in England in 1966, when the home side beat West Germany 4-2 in the final after extra time – the only time the country has either hosted or won the contest.
Burnham, a keen football fan who has a season ticket at Everton, said earlier this month that it was “insane” only one World Cup had been held anywhere in the UK.
It is understood an application to stage the competition could also involve other home nations, none of which have hosted any World Cup games.
In recent years, joint bids between countries for major football tournaments have become more common. Alongside the Republic of Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will host the men’s European championships in 2028.
Work has not yet begun on any official bid for the 2042 event but it is understood Downing Street would support the FA should it choose to pursue it.
Sources say Burnham has “broad aspirations” and “a general ambition” to bring more major footballing events to the UK.
England made a doomed bid to host the 2018 World Cup, which was awarded to Russia amid allegations of corruption.
In 2014, while serving in the shadow cabinet, Burnham said he was uncomfortable that the tournament was still allowed to take place in Russia after its annexation of Crimea.
Under Fifa regulations, no European country would be eligible to stage the World Cup until 2042.
In 2000, Fifa introduced rules that meant the tournament would be rotated around its six continental confederations. It led to South Africa hosting its first World Cup in 2010, but the strict system was scrapped in October 2007.
Countries are not allowed to bid to stage a World Cup if either of the previous two tournaments have taken place on the same continent.
The 2030 World Cup will be hosted by Spain, Portugal and Morocco, with some early matches taking place in South America to mark the tournament’s centenary. The first World Cup was played in Uruguay in 1930.
Fifa has also confirmed that the 2034 tournament will take place in Saudi Arabia. The location of the 2038 World Cup has not yet been announced, but under the rules, it is likely to be played in North America or Oceania, which includes Australia and New Zealand.
Burnham is also understood to have spoken about the possibility of hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games in the north of England in the 2040s at Friday’s meeting.
UK Sport was commissioned to assess whether a bid would be viable earlier this year under the previous prime minister, Keir Starmer.
It is understood that the government is considering the possibility of a “multi-city bid” in an attempt to spread any economic benefit between several northern cities.

Mitchell Starc took 10 wickets to lead Australia to an innings and 51-run victory over Bangladesh in the second Test in Mackay. The match concluded within two days, resulting in a 1-1 series draw. Shoriful Islam recorded career-best figures for Bangladesh.

Sydney Swans fans staged a walkout at the SCG during a double-header following a scandal involving five AFL players stood down for breaching club standards. Victoria Police are investigating an alleged sexual assault involving the players in Melbourne.

Arthur Fils advanced to his first Masters 1000 final at the Cincinnati Open after defeating Flavio Cobolli. He will face Frances Tiafoe in a historic final. In the women's draw, Jessica Pegula will compete against Coco Gauff for the title.

Promoter Eddie Hearn confirms the heavyweight fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua is contractually locked, dismissing Fury's recent doubts. Negotiations continue regarding the event's location, with Saudi organisers pushing for a move to the United States.

Teófimo López secured the WBA welterweight title with a 12-round majority decision victory over Rolando Romero in Las Vegas. The win marks López's third division championship, despite Romero disputing the judges' scores of 115-113, 116-112, and 114-114.

Liverpool start the 2026-27 Premier League season against Newcastle without Mohamed Salah, who has left the club. Under manager Andoni Iraola, the team is transitioning, relying on players like Alexander Isak and Rio Ngumoha to replace the departed star's output.