Gaël Mocaër and Sebastian Perez Pezzani, directors for France Télévisions, have been in pre-trial detention since August 17 for “false declarations”.
AI-generated summary
Togo ranks 97th out of 180 countries in the annual press freedom rankings established by Reporters Without Borders.
Gaël Mocaër and Sebastian Perez Pezzani, two French directors of the show Les routes de l'impossible broadcast on France Télévisions, have been detained in Togo since their arrest on July 27. They had been arrested with Fred Vedomey, their Togolese fixer and media collaborator, while they were filming an episode of the documentary series in this West African country.
After being placed under house arrest, the three men were placed in pre-trial detention and charged with “false declarations” on August 17, according to Reporters Without Borders. They are held at the Agoè Logopé camp, near Lomé. This Wednesday, the director general of RSF, Thibaut Bruttin, called for “their immediate release”.
One of the directors is ill
The families of the two directors expressed their concern in the RSF press release. “We are devastated by the deprivation of liberty suffered by our companions, our fathers, our sons and our brothers in Togo,” they declared, adding that their “concern is immense, particularly for their health.” Sebastian Perez Pezzani suffers in particular from “serious health problems, requiring immediate treatment”, according to RSF. Patrice Lucchini, general manager of Tony Comiti Productions, says that “he is sick” and that he “risks septicemia”.
According to Patrice Lucchini, the arrest took place “on the side of Kara, where they passed an area” which had been recommended to them. However, he assures that the production was “in order”, specifying that the directors had obtained “filming authorization” from the Ministry of Culture and declared their equipment to customs.
Togo says it has not received a filming request
The High Regulatory Authority for Written, Audiovisual and Digital Communication (HARC) of Togo states for its part that it has not received “any request for accreditation concerning these two people, neither by France Télévisions, nor by the interested parties themselves, as provided for in the texts”. She also said that she had not been “informed of the arrival in the territory of the two people whose professional status she is unaware of, nor of the filming activities that they were expected to carry out, particularly in the northern part of the country”.
The HARC now considers that it is up to justice to determine “the circumstances of the presence of the persons concerned on the national territory, the nature of their activities as well as, where applicable, the facts with which they are accused”. Togo, led since 2005 by Faure Gnassingbé after 38 years of power under his father Eyadéma, occupies 97th place out of 180 countries in the annual press freedom ranking established by Reporters Without Borders.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Request for immediate release by RSF
Very likely · Within days
Quatorze civils, âgés de 50 à 70 ans, ont été tués vendredi par une frappe aérienne de l'armée birmane sur un monastère à Myaung. Les témoins dénoncent une attaque intentionnelle contre des fidèles en retraite de méditation.
Le Moyen-Orient reste sous tension alors que l'administration Trump prépare de nouvelles sanctions économiques contre l'Iran. Téhéran, se disant en position de force, appelle à la fin du conflit, tandis que des échanges virulents opposent Israël et la Turquie.
L'Allemagne enquête sur des armes découvertes près de Berlin. À Kryvyï Rig, une attaque russe par drones sur un centre commercial fait 14 morts et 120 blessés. Parallèlement, le Japon proteste contre des essais de missiles russes près d'îles disputées.

Des frappes russes par drones sur un centre commercial à Kryvyï Rig ont fait au moins 16 morts et 130 blessés. Le président Zelensky dénonce une attaque cynique, tandis que l'UE condamne une stratégie de terreur visant à rendre les villes inhabitables.

Des frappes russes ont fait au moins deux morts à Kiev et Zaporijjia dans la nuit. Ces attaques surviennent après un bombardement sur un centre commercial à Kryvyï Rig ayant fait 20 morts la veille.

Natalie Harp n'aurait pas eu les habilitations de sécurité requises, l'économiste russe Andreï Klepach a été écarté, et la Maison-Blanche s'est emportée contre une journaliste de CNN.