
After the Lebanon War in 1982: Mossad and Israeli army find remains of Jehuda Katz
AI-generated summary
Jehuda Katz, Zachariah Baumel and Zvi Feldman had been missing since the Battle of Sultan Jakub in June 1982. The recovery of the remains is part of Israel's long-standing effort to bring home missing soldiers.
Israel's army has brought home the remains of an Israeli soldier who has been missing in Lebanon for 44 years during a joint operation with the foreign intelligence service Mossad. The armed forces said on Tuesday that they had been searching for decades for the soldier Jehuda Katz, who died in the first Lebanon War. The recovery of his body was now carried out on the basis of “precise information”. The army did not provide any information about where the body was found.
Katz and two other Israeli soldiers had been missing since the Battle of Sultan Jakub in June 1982. In the battle, the Israeli and Syrian armies faced each other in the eastern Lebanese Bekaa Valley near the Syrian border.
In 2019, the body of the missing Zachariah Baumel was brought home and buried. According to Israeli media reports, Israel and Russia had worked for two years to locate Baumel's body in Syria and bring it home.
In May 2025, Zvi Feldman's remains were also found in Syria. According to Mossad and the army, there had previously been “precise indications” in the Feldman case. Information about the exact location and time of the action was not provided. Feldman's body was identified through DNA tests and his relatives were informed, it said.
The search for Katz, the third missing soldier, continued until the end. His remains have now been returned to Israel and, according to the army, identified in an institute for the identification of fallen soldiers under the supervision of the military rabbinate.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had "authorized numerous covert operations over many years to locate Sultan Yakub's missing soldiers." He promised the families of the three soldiers that he would "bring them home."
President Isaac Herzog said he hung a photo of Katz in his office as a "daily reminder of our sacred duty to bring our sons home and leave no one behind." The “open, bleeding wound” caused by the battle of Sultan Jakub could now heal.

Bei russischen Drohnenangriffen auf ein Einkaufszentrum in Krywyj Rih starben mindestens 16 Menschen, 130 wurden verletzt. Ein weiterer Angriff in der Region Mykolajiw forderte vier Todesopfer, darunter drei Kinder.

Bei einem russischen Drohnenangriff auf ein belebtes Einkaufszentrum in Krywyj Rih wurden mindestens 16 Menschen getötet und über 130 verletzt. Die Attacke erfolgte in zwei Wellen, wobei die zweite gezielt Rettungskräfte traf.

Russland intensiviert Angriffe auf ukrainische Städte und Infrastruktur, während Bundesaußenminister Wadephul Kiew besucht. Parallel dazu gibt es Berichte über Drohnenangriffe in Russland, Luftraumverletzungen in Finnland und ein mutmaßliches russisches Waffendepot bei Berlin.

Der Iran-Konflikt verschärft sich durch US-Wirtschaftssanktionen und militärische Blockaden. Während die USA ihre Präsenz in der Straße von Hormus verstärken, droht Teheran mit Widerstand. Parallel dazu eskaliert die Gewalt im Westjordanland.

Bei russischen Drohnenangriffen auf ein Einkaufszentrum in Krywyj Rih starben mindestens 16 Menschen, 130 wurden verletzt. Ein weiterer Angriff in der Region Mykolajiw forderte vier weitere Todesopfer, darunter drei Kinder.

Während eines Solidaritätsbesuchs von Bundesaußenminister Johann Wadephul in Kiew griff Russland den Vorort Boryspil mit ballistischen Raketen an. Dabei wurden mindestens zwei Menschen getötet und acht verletzt. Zeitgleich meldet die Ukraine weitere Angriffe.