41-year-old Jason Arday resigned from his professorship at Cambridge University after allegations of plagiarism and was found dead in London.
AI-generated summary
Jason Arday was appointed the youngest black professor at Cambridge in 2023 and recently resigned following allegations of plagiarism.
After the death of the former professor at the renowned University of Cambridge, Jason Arday, there is consternation and sadness in Great Britain. The 41-year-old recently resigned from his position at the world-famous university in the wake of plagiarism allegations.
According to the PA news agency, British Prime Minister Andy Burnham spoke of a “tragedy on so many levels, but especially for everyone who knew Jason” during a visit to Cornwall. Now is not the time for “hasty judgments”. “It is a moment of reflection,” he said, “today we are all thinking of Jason, his work and his family and friends.”
Education Minister Lucy Powell spoke on Platform Meanwhile, critical voices about the public handling of the allegations against Arday were also raised, including from London Mayor Sadiq Khan.
Arday was found lifeless in London on Friday. The Metropolitan Police said a 41-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene in the southwest of the British capital. At this point, his death is classified as unexpected, but there is no reason to believe that a crime was committed, the PA news agency quoted the police, who generally do not give names in Great Britain, as saying. The case is being investigated. There is currently no official information about the cause of death.
What Jason Arday was accused of
In 2023, at the age of 37, Arday became the youngest black professor in the long history of the world-renowned University of Cambridge. His appointment was celebrated as a progressive milestone and his life story was marveled at. Arday grew up in simple circumstances in London. As a child, he said he was diagnosed with a form of autism. According to Cambridge University, he worked in the field of sociology at several universities.
But in recent weeks, the image of the academic, often described as a star in his field, has started to crack. Numerous media outlets reported extensively on allegations of plagiarism regarding the professor's doctoral thesis at Liverpool John Moores University. The allegations were that he also plagiarized in other scientific publications. According to PA, an earlier investigation by the University of Liverpool did not find any scientific misconduct.
Finally, the credibility of parts of his life story was also doubted. Among other things, information about millions of donations for charitable purposes and sporting achievements were questioned.
Serious criticism of elite universities
Last week, the 41-year-old finally resigned from his Cambridge professorship. The university had previously announced an investigation into his appointment and activities. According to the BBC and PA, Arday recently canceled several events.
In a letter of resignation, he rejected the plagiarism allegations made against him. His resignation is “the only way to end this chapter,” the letter says. This should not be understood as “consent to the representations”. “While criticism is an inevitable part of academic life, what I experienced goes far beyond academic disagreements.”
The University of Cambridge also came under massive criticism as a result of the case. Director Deborah Prentice recently announced that an investigation into Arday would be carried out “independently by high-ranking scientists from Cambridge and outside”.
“I know there is anger and concern surrounding this stressful and difficult case,” she said. She described the case as an exception and emphasized that it should not be used to question the legitimacy of the scientific work of non-white employees. The universities of Durham and Glasgow, where Arday worked, also announced investigations. According to PA, a professor at the University of Cambridge recently described the case as a “gift” for everyone who would take action against diversity at universities.
Criticism of how allegations are handled
A few hours after the British media sent out numerous breaking news about Arday's death on Friday evening, the relatives also commented, according to the PA news agency.
Since becoming a professor at the University of Cambridge, Arday has been subjected to “a sustained smear campaign,” according to the family statement sent by his publisher Simon & Schuster UK. There is also talk of a “campaign of misinformation”. Arday was a “gentle man” who “always wanted to see the best in everyone.”
Criticism of the public handling of the allegations also came from London Mayor Sadiq Khan. Arday was publicly exposed and subjected to a “wave of abuse,” the Labor politician claimed in an X post. The Labor MP for the London constituency of Clapham and Brixton Hill, Bell Ribeiro-Addy, spoke on the Sky channel of a media “witch hunt”.
Arday's memoirs are due to be published in Great Britain at the end of August. The publisher Simon & Schuster UK described “Great and Unfortunate Things” as a book about “resilience and love”.
AI outlook — possibilities, not facts
Arday's memoirs will be published in August
Very likely · Within weeks

Bei russischen Drohnenangriffen auf ein Einkaufszentrum in Krywyj Rih starben mindestens 16 Menschen, 130 wurden verletzt. Ein weiterer Angriff in der Region Mykolajiw forderte vier Todesopfer, darunter drei Kinder.

Bei einem russischen Drohnenangriff auf ein belebtes Einkaufszentrum in Krywyj Rih wurden mindestens 16 Menschen getötet und über 130 verletzt. Die Attacke erfolgte in zwei Wellen, wobei die zweite gezielt Rettungskräfte traf.

Russland intensiviert Angriffe auf ukrainische Städte und Infrastruktur, während Bundesaußenminister Wadephul Kiew besucht. Parallel dazu gibt es Berichte über Drohnenangriffe in Russland, Luftraumverletzungen in Finnland und ein mutmaßliches russisches Waffendepot bei Berlin.

Der Iran-Konflikt verschärft sich durch US-Wirtschaftssanktionen und militärische Blockaden. Während die USA ihre Präsenz in der Straße von Hormus verstärken, droht Teheran mit Widerstand. Parallel dazu eskaliert die Gewalt im Westjordanland.

Bei russischen Drohnenangriffen auf ein Einkaufszentrum in Krywyj Rih starben mindestens 16 Menschen, 130 wurden verletzt. Ein weiterer Angriff in der Region Mykolajiw forderte vier weitere Todesopfer, darunter drei Kinder.

Während eines Solidaritätsbesuchs von Bundesaußenminister Johann Wadephul in Kiew griff Russland den Vorort Boryspil mit ballistischen Raketen an. Dabei wurden mindestens zwei Menschen getötet und acht verletzt. Zeitgleich meldet die Ukraine weitere Angriffe.